Learn more about opening a restaurant with our complete guide.
How many items should be on a restaurant menu? This is a question that has been debated for years. Some restaurateurs believe that they should offer as many items as possible, while others believe that they should only offer a select few items. So which is the right answer?
There are pros and cons to both sides of this argument. Offering too many items can overwhelm customers and cause them to make poor choices. On the other hand, offering too few items can limit customer choice and prevent people from finding what they’re looking for.
So what’s the right answer? The answer isn’t simple, but there are a few things to consider when making this decision. Let’s take a look at some of those things now.
Keep It Short And Sweet
: The most important factor to consider when deciding how many items to include on your menu is the amount of time it takes for customers to make a decision. If they are presented with too many options, they will take longer to choose and be less likely to make a purchase. Keeping the menu short and sweet will help ensure that customers can quickly and easily find what they’re looking for.
Offer A Variety Of Options: While it’s important to keep the menu concise, it’s also important to offer a variety of options for customers. This means offering dishes that appeal to all different types of tastes, budgets, dietary restrictions, etc. Offering a wide range of dishes allows customers to find something that suits their individual needs and encourages them to come back for more.
Stick To What You’re Good At: It’s also important to focus on the items that you know you can execute well. Just because something is trendy or popular right now doesn’t mean it should be added to your menu; stick with what you know and are confident in preparing. Offering quality dishes instead of quantity will keep customers coming back time and time again.
Conclusion: The number of items on a restaurant menu depends largely on the individual establishment and what they feel comfortable serving. However, there are some general guidelines to consider when making this decision. Keeping it short and sweet, offering variety, and sticking to what you’re good at are all key factors when deciding how many items should be on a menu.
1. Fisher, K. (2018, October 8). How Many Dishes Should Be On An Restaurant Menu? Retrieved from https://www.restaurantnews.com/how-many-dishes-should-be-on-a-restaurant-menu/
2. Vittorelli, A. (2019, April 15). 10 Tips To Optimize Your Restaurant Menu – And Increase Profits! Retrieved from https://blog.foodableweb.com/10tips-optimizeyourrestomenu/
3. Thompson, F. (2019, February 28). 8 Tips For Designing The Perfect Restaurant Menu – Infographic. Retrieved from https://www.upgrow.co/blog/perfect-restaurant-menu/
4. Hurdle, J. (2019, April 16). What Restaurant Menu Items Make The Most Money? Retrieved from https://www.restaurantengine.com/restaurant-menu-items-make-most-money/
5. Schlosser, E.(2018, October 17). How To Create A Winning Restaurant Menu: 9 Tips From The Pros. Retrieved from https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/create-winning-restaurant-menu
6. Ramirez, L.(2018, September 18). 5 Steps To Design An Effective Restaurant Menu For Your Business. Retrieved from https://restaurantengine.com/design-effective-restaurant-menu/
7. Rege, A.(2016, August 5). Restaurant Menu Design: 10 Tips To Create An Appetizing Menu.Retrieved from https://www.canva.com/learn/restaurant-menu-design/
8. Kubassek, D.(2015, October 22). The Perfect Restaurant Menu for Increased Profits and Customer Satisfaction.Retrieved from https://www.businessknowhow.com/startup/perfectmenu.htm
9. Washington State Hospitality Association (n.d.). Creating a Successful Restaurant Menu – Tips & Advice from Food Service Professionals in Washington State. Retrieved from https://www.wahospitality.org/CreatingaSuccessfulRestaurantMenuTipsAdvicefromFoodServiceProfessionalsinWashingtonState.html
10. Delbridge, A.(2011, December 22). Designing a Restaurant Menu – Tips and Guidelines for Success.Retrieved from https://www.thebalancesmb.com/designing-a-restaurant-menu-1360071
11. Albanese, D.(2016, March 7). Eight Tactics to Optimize Your Restaurant Menu – SmarterCX. Retrieved from https://smartercx.com/eight-tactics-optimize-restaurant-menu/
12 Harrell, K.(2017, June 2). 8 Menu Design Tricks To Make Your Restaurant Stand Out. Retrieved from https://www.restaurantowner.com/8-menu-design-tricks-make-your-restaurant-stand/
13. Raciti, P.(n.d.). 4 Steps to Create the Perfect Restaurant Menu – The Internet Chef Blog.Retrieved from https://theinternetchefblog.wordpress.com/2011/09/19/4-steps-to-create-the-perfect-restaurant-menu/
14 Uba, S.(2018, May 18). How to Determine the Number of Items on a Restaurant Menu – Bizfluent .